Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Interview: Now in US National Team camp, Chris Klute focuses on future

Via Rantsports.com


September 12, 2012. That's when it seemingly all changed for Chris Klute. After a few months of solid performances with NASL's Atlanta Silverbacks, he was loaned to the Colorado Rapids for the rest of the 2012 season and the full 2013 season.

After a breakout year which saw Klute play 2,696 mintues and have 7 assists, he had the opportunity to train at Everton this offseason.

"Training at Everton was a great learning experience, I was able to learn a lot about the soccer culture and the style of play in Europe." said the 23 year old. "It was the type of experience where I was able to evaluate myself as a player and see where I would like to improve and better myself as a player."

Though Chris became one of the star defenders in the league, he was quick to nudge off the notion of a sophomore slump. "Once the season ended I've been taking care of my body, continuing to work out and maintaining a healthy diet. I'm excited for the MLS 2014 season to get back on the field."

Some of Klute's personal goals for next season are to continuously improve on all aspects on the field. "(I want to) continue improving as a defender, working with my teammates to continue what we started last season, and get a few more assists than this past season."

When asked where he sees himself in 5 years, Klute was honest. "Continuing to improve to be the best player I can be." What about if the opportunity arose to play in another country? "If other opportunities arise, I'd be willing to consider playing overseas."

Klute's development into become one of the best left backs in America keeps churning along as Chris was called into the US National Team's January camp. Many are hoping to see Chris in game action against South Korea on February 1st, and hopefully making his way into the full national team picture. If Chris shines, could we be seeing him in Brazil? That may be 6 months away but let's just say, the future looks bright.

-Marc Kusant (@TheRedestBull)

No comments:

Post a Comment